Re: Super Maramu Repower

michael winand

We have recently been through the process. Couldn't justify the dollars to make the Volvo tmd new again. Oil leak. Turbo rebuild.
We have installed a new beta 60.
Plenty of power. Lots of torque.
Big electrodyne alternator.
Remote filters for easy access.
Michael  nebo sm251

On Wed, 2 Sep 2020 at 4:09 am, CW Bill Rouse
<brouse@...> wrote:
I believe the Beta 85 is the best engine to repower the SM or 54. There are lots of reasons...here are a few:
Beta understands the isolated ground
Beta 85 is Kubota powered
Beta 85 has no computer and sensors

Here is some contact information for those interested:
Americas & Caribbean
UK, EU, Asia, AU, NZ
Stanley Feigenbaum
Andrew Growcoot
Beta Marine US Ltd
11702 NC-306
Arapahoe, NC 28510
P +1(252) 249-2473
US Toll-Free 877 227 2473

Beta Marine Limited
Davy Way, Waterwells
Quedgeley, Gloucester
Gloucestershire, GL2 2AD
United Kingdom
P +44 (0)1452 723 492
F +44 (0)1452 883 742

Email me privately at brouse@... if you are interested in a discount from Beta

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 5:31 PM Germain Jean-Pierre <jp.germain45@...> wrote:
Hello Mark and Nicky,

Welcome aboard!!!

If I had your situation, I would think more of an overhaul than Beta. Lots of spare parts available through Parts4engines.com.

If after analysis, an engine swap is needed, the Beta would also be my choice

Kind regards,

Jean-Pierre Germain, Eleuthera, SM007, NZ

On 1/09/2020, at 2:14 AM, Mark Barter <markbarter100@...> wrote:

We have just taken Nunky on her maiden voyage from Antibes to Almerimar over 5-6 weeks and we have loved the whole experience. The boat just feels so safe. Now that we have some experience of the boat I am hoping to be able to contribute to the group and the knowledge base.

One thing about the Western Med that I have noticed however is the amount of motoring you have to do. We have put 130 hours on the engine in just over 800 miles.

Nunky currently has the original Perkins M80T fitted. The hour meter broke at some point so I have no idea how many hours it has done. The new meter read 10 when we bought her but I doubt that was fitted 10 hours before we the boat.

Anyway we were considering a complete overhaul but a head gasket problem we had in Cartagena suggests that is the least we should do. Given that I have no idea how many hours the Perkins has done I am thinking about replacing it.

I have read and reread all the previous posts about repowers and I am edging towards a Beta 75. I like the fact that the engine is simple, they seem to have an excellent reputation and they will also fit a bespoke charging solution. That appeals because when we fit lithium eventually I would like a high capacity 24v alternator fitting.

I would really appreciate the group's current views on repowers that have been undertaken.

Many thanks
--
Mark & Nicky Barter
S/V Nunky