Re: Main furling motor and gear on 54

ngtnewington Newington

Hi Bill,

Yes that is the one. It must have been a typo to sign off 55 sorry.

So I have dissembled the gear box.
The shaft that runs vertically through the gearbox and connects to the sail foil has the two lip seals top and bottom that I was trying to change.
That shaft would not pull out. It must be corroded in or be a very tight fit.

So I took it to a machine shop. It is aluminium and slightly corroded on place. Popped out with the press. I am glad that I did not try beating it. There was no way that was coming out without the press. There had been water ingress and bearings are rough, the seals gone, however the worm gear looks okay.
This is a project that I have been putting off too long, but have the seals and bearing. So easy to re-assemble.
Now better do the outhall whilst I am at it.
Nick
S/Y Amelia
AML 54-019

On 1 Sep 2020, at 21:38, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Nick,

You had me fooled. Your original post stated Amel 55, and the 55 furling assembly does not have a worm!

I believe that your Amel 54 #19 has the earlier version of the mainsail furling motor and gearbox, similar to the last SMs. I am having difficulty understanding why you would try to remove the worm gear before disassembling the gearbox and removing the spur gear. The spur gear will hold the worm gear in place. Maybe I am not understanding? Anyway, I will post some things here that may or may not help.

<image.png>

Here is a disassembled gearbox similar to yours. You can see the worm gear and understand how the spur holds it in place.
<image.png>

Also maybe this helps:
<image.png>

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 1:17 PM ngtnewington Newington via groups.io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi guys,
I am leaving it overnight soaking in diesel. I tried a puller earlier to push out the shaft but nada.
Tomorrow I will apply heat and the puller. If that fails I guess it will need a press.
I just wonder why it is not a nice snug fit, not as if it is a ball of rust. Maybe if when it finally yields it does not go back in with a gentle tap, I will have it machines down a thou.....so next timeI can pull it easy as kiss my hand.
Nick
Slightly fed up with a day of poor progress.
Amelia Leros

AML 54-019

On 1 Sep 2020, at 20:11, James Alton via groups.io <lokiyawl2=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Nick,

   Assuming that the worm gear and the shaft are both metal...  I would try heating the component  ( I assume this is the worm gear) with the hole to expand it while cooling the other part (the shaft) using ice or whatever you have.   Some gentle tapping might be ok.

Best of luck,

James
SV Sueno
Maramu #220