Re: Water maker Questions

Porter McRoberts

Gary et all I’ve read this thread a bunch and it is super helpful. Thanks for all your insights, and others.

I’ve removed our cat pump several times in the past week and it’s a real bear. Issue: leaking at high pressure from somewhere around the head.

I’ve taken our 160 to a cat repair place here in Tahiti, thinking I found the leak and needed a new head. Long story short, they found a small hole in the brass elbow going up to the blue stabilization bulb. They think that’s the issue. I am skeptical. Since install and removal is several hours and horrible on the back I’d like to know if anyone knows what pressure the pump is rated for, and also what peak pressure I can reasonably expect  to see when running the pump. It seems like 60-65 bar would be that number, aiming for 56-58

The guys at the shop pressure tested it to 30 bar with no leaks. I am asking them to retest to 60. They say that’s the maximum the pump is rated to. Is that true?

What Bar is the low end of the green zone, and the high end of the green zone, assuming my guage is accurate, which I suspend mine not to be (we make 200+l/hr still well below the end of the green zone)?

I’dlike this to be my last trip behind the generator for a while!!!

many thanks to all

Porter McRoberts
S/V IBIS A54-152
Tahiti.