Re: Water maker Questions

Barry Connor

Hi Porter,
Both brass fittings have just been replaced on the pump by me, in and out a few times.  The high pressure side broke off completely and the low pressure/inlet had a hairline crack. I only discovered the hairline crack after it was all back in place. Getting the broken thread out was fun! The brass fittings that I used for replacement were thicker than the original. I did use tape, I will monitor this for now but will probably take it out again and reseal the brass fittings with some type of locktight.
 Could anyone tell me if I should  I use Stainless Steel? I don’t like changing things, Olivier told me when we bought that we should keep everything the same.
Thank’s for the information about not using tape.
See photo below:

Barry and Penny
“SV Lady Penelope II”
Amel 54.  17
Sainte Anne anchorage Martinique

On Sep 3, 2020, at 22:22, Porter McRoberts via groups.io <portermcroberts@...> wrote:

Gary et all I’ve read this thread a bunch and it is super helpful. Thanks for all your insights, and others.

I’ve removed our cat pump several times in the past week and it’s a real bear. Issue: leaking at high pressure from somewhere around the head.

I’ve taken our 160 to a cat repair place here in Tahiti, thinking I found the leak and needed a new head. Long story short, they found a small hole in the brass elbow going up to the blue stabilization bulb. They think that’s the issue. I am skeptical. Since install and removal is several hours and horrible on the back I’d like to know if anyone knows what pressure the pump is rated for, and also what peak pressure I can reasonably expect  to see when running the pump. It seems like 60-65 bar would be that number, aiming for 56-58

The guys at the shop pressure tested it to 30 bar with no leaks. I am asking them to retest to 60. They say that’s the maximum the pump is rated to. Is that true?

What Bar is the low end of the green zone, and the high end of the green zone, assuming my guage is accurate, which I suspend mine not to be (we make 200+l/hr still well below the end of the green zone)?

I’dlike this to be my last trip behind the generator for a while!!!

many thanks to all

Porter McRoberts
S/V IBIS A54-152
Tahiti.