Re: Water maker Questions

Mark Barter

This is a really useful thread.

Nunky is fitted with a Dessalator D100. We assumed that the green light meant it was working well. When it became apparent that it wasn’t we had a tank full of brine. I now know that the green light means nothing. I actually tested the output against sea water and somehow it was worse.

I have no idea when the water maker was last used but my guess is months and months before we bought the boat. Due to various issues including Covid we were then away from the boat for months. I didn’t know about pickling and regular flushing at that stage so it’s hardly surprising that the water maker isn’t working properly.

I am going to clean the membranes to see if that helps but if it doesn’t it’s either 3 new membranes at £500 each or a new system with proper quality control.

Has anybody managed to successfully resurrect a system from this state? If so, how?

--
Mark & Nicky Barter
S/V Nunky