Re: Dessalator Watermakers & Filmtec Membranes

Matt Salatino

Won’t running over 56-58 bar affect the membrane life?
Off hand do you know the pressure range specs for the membrane?
I run ours at the low end of the green, thinking I’m being safe.
~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Sep 9, 2020, at 8:49 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

I learned something today with from a great 54 owner, from Dessalator, and from reading the recent specifications sheet for Filmtec SW30 membranes.

·        The actual pressure for the Green Zone on a Dessalator high-pressure gauge is between 60 and 65 BAR

·        In normal seawater temperature and salinity and at 55 BAR the SW30 series of membranes will produce:

o   SW30 2521 = 47 liters/hour or 3*47 = 141 liters/hour

o   SW30 2540 = 109 liters/hour or 2*109 = 218 liters/hour

·        Obviously the production rate with pressure set inside the Green Bar (60-65 BAR), will be greater than the above

·        Dialing back the pressure to change the product water production to the original specs of the watermaker may cause the water maker to shut down.

My statement of reducing the pressure to set the produced water in the sight-glass at the original output for the D50/60, D100, and D160 is no longer valid for normal water temperature and salinity. And the D160 with new membranes will produce over 200 liters/hour.

WARNING: Filmtec has increased the efficiency of these membranes and depending on the age of your membrane(s) you may not see the increased production.

I attach the Filmtec Spec Sheet that I refer to:

I hope this helps and clears up things.

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar