Re: Dessalator Watermakers & Filmtec Membranes

Tom,

Filmtec states the following about the SW30 2540 membrane, "This membrane is rated for a maximum 700 gallons per day, we use it in our watermakers to produce actual 21 gallons per hour from standard seawater (35000 ppm). In brackish water, freshwater production will increase but you should not exceed 30 gallons per hour or 700 gallons per day."

So, I believe that if you turn the pressure down so that the flow rate does not exceed the rating for the sum of the flow rates of your membrane array, you'll be doing exactly what Filmtec states above.

Here are the flow rates of common SW30 membranes:
image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 3:12 PM Thomas Peacock <peacock8491@...> wrote:
This is not an area of expertise for me. However, I would like to either make a couple of points or ask of couple of questions, depending on my depth of knowledge.

The Dessalator manual mentions not to run in water less salty than normal ocean water. However, a member of this forum, name escapes me, stated that you could run in brackish water so long as you did not exceed the water production rate, which for me is 60 liters per hour. My theory on why was that either high pressures, or high water production rate was potentially harmful to the membranes. Is this correct?

Thanks

Tom Peacock
SM 240 Aletes
Chesapeake Bay

On Sep 9, 2020, at 3:23 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Mat,

Not according to Dessalator who states that the green bar on their high-pressure gauge is set for between 60 - 65 BAR. And according to Filmtec the Maximum operating pressure is 69 BAR

<image.png>
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 2:17 PM Matt Salatino via groups.io <helmsmatt=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Won’t running over 56-58 bar affect the membrane life?
Off hand do you know the pressure range specs for the membrane?
I run ours at the low end of the green, thinking I’m being safe.
~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Sep 9, 2020, at 8:49 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

I learned something today with from a great 54 owner, from Dessalator, and from reading the recent specifications sheet for Filmtec SW30 membranes.
·        The actual pressure for the Green Zone on a Dessalator high-pressure gauge is between 60 and 65 BAR
·        In normal seawater temperature and salinity and at 55 BAR the SW30 series of membranes will produce:
o   SW30 2521 = 47 liters/hour or 3*47 = 141 liters/hour
o   SW30 2540 = 109 liters/hour or 2*109 = 218 liters/hour
·        Obviously the production rate with pressure set inside the Green Bar (60-65 BAR), will be greater than the above
·        Dialing back the pressure to change the product water production to the original specs of the watermaker may cause the water maker to shut down.
My statement of reducing the pressure to set the produced water in the sight-glass at the original output for the D50/60, D100, and D160 is no longer valid for normal water temperature and salinity. And the D160 with new membranes will produce over 200 liters/hour.

WARNING: Filmtec has increased the efficiency of these membranes and depending on the age of your membrane(s) you may not see the increased production.

I attach the Filmtec Spec Sheet that I refer to:

I hope this helps and clears up things.

Bill

--
Tom Peacock