Re: [Amel] New Sails for Sharki 104

Jean Boucharlat

To the moderator and all members of this group

I think that Dave Benjamin, whom I have never met, should be strongly
advised to refrain from peddling his sails on this group site.

This is not the first time he has done it.

I have no idea whether his sails are good, bad or indifferent but I find it
very disturbing to be exposed to his insidious commercials in this Amel
Owners Group that is only intended for friendly and disinterested exchanges
of information between members.

All comments are welcomed (except from Dave Benjamin himself).

Jean Boucharlat
(Formerly SM 232)

From: Mr D <dshkipin@gmail.com <mailto:dshkipin%40gmail.com> >
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, July 30, 2009, 1:50 PM

I agree with Dave. I did a fair amount of shopping around, including Daves'
company which had a very competitive deal. I ended up getting my sails done
in May of this year for 6,938 USD incl CA tax from UK-Halsey San Francisco.
Here is the breakdown FYI for anyone looking to get new sails.

Amel 39 Ketch Powerhead II Mainsail, Challenge 9.18

oz Dacron, Blue Water Finish, Attached Foot, 4 RBS

Battens, Top 2 Battens Full-Length, Sailman M10

Batten Receptacles & Joints, 3 Reefs, Draft Stripes,

Leech Cord, Telltales, Cunningham, Sail Bag

1 2,183.00 2,183.00T

Amel 39 Ketch 120% Roller Furling Passagemaker

Genoa, Challenge 8.18 oz Dacron, UV Sunbrella

Suncover, Padded Luff, Blue Water Finish, Leech and

Foot Chords, Draft Stripes, Telltale Window, Sail Bag

1 2,438.00 2,438.00T

Amel 39 Ketch Powerhead I Mizzen, Challenge 8.18 oz

Dacron, Blue Water Finish, 4 RBS Battens, Top Batten

Full-Length, 1 Reef, Draft Stripes, Leech Cord,

Telltales, Cunningham, Sail Bag

1 784.00 784.00T

ATN Gale Sail, 100sf 1 975.00 975.00T

Hope this helps

--- In amelyachtowners@ yahoogroups. com, Dave Benjamin <dave_benjamin@ ...>
wrote:

You mention the sails are flat and have little shape. That's a trademark
of certain lofts that don't have the ability to produce for the industry and
sell direct. Amel owners that want sails that will perform well in a variety
of conditions are better served by dealing with a real sailmaker.

You should also know that many of these sails are made with second quality
or other manufacturer rejected cloth. That's why they can sell them so
cheaply. In many cases I see sails like these being sold for less than what
it cost just to buy top quality material.

The bitterness of poor quality outlasts the sweetness of a cheap price.