Re: Anchor sizing

ngtnewington Newington

On my 54 Amel provided a 33kg Wasi, that I feel is slightly undersized for such a vessel. I also think the WASI, although a good anchor, is now out of date and has limited holding power. On board, when I purchased Amelia, was a 45Kg Delta that was set up as the primary anchor with the Wasi set up on the secondary port roller.

I then switched them around and found the Wasi, although smaller than the Delta to be better all round than the Delta, although probably due only to it’s very sharp tip. I think the well set Delta would have greater holding power. The Delta however was harder to set.

I was never happy with either as my main anchor; so after much research I purchased a 37Kg Spade that I am delighted with. Only the other day at anchor in Leros on very good holding, after two days of 25-30kn Meltemi. It was a beast to raise. Even on 1:1 scope It required 1500 RPM to even budge.

For a SM, which is pretty much the same size and weight as the 54 I completely agree 30Kg Wasi is really not big and modern enough for peace of mind.

I would go for either an Ultra or a Spade between 35Kg and 45Kg. My experience with the 37 Kg Spade is that if set in good holding ground it will not budge no matter how hard it blows. This would be over 20% heavier than the original Wasi supplied by Amel and for sure a much better anchor.

Nick
Amelia (AML 54- 019) stored ashore in Leros.

On 13 Sep 2020, at 08:31, Randall <sailingalbedo@...> wrote:

Slight rewording.

If you don't want to ever end up on youtube for the wrong reason, bigger is better. Your Wasi was chosen by Amel as a good size and would do fine. But for peace of mind. the recommended weight by the manufacturer is always one size too small. Go Bigger!!!!
On my 54 the choice for peace of mind is the 45KG/100LB Ultra is the best. But the weight is more important than shine. So the other choices of Rocna, Mantus, Plow, etc. will work fine.

Randall
A54 #56
Gibraltar

On Sun, Sep 13, 2020 at 9:20 AM The Boat <sailingalbedo@...> wrote:
If you don't want to ever end up on youtube for the wrong reason, bigger is better. Your Wasi was chosen by Amel as a good size and would do fine. But for peace of mind. the recommended is always one size too small.
On my 54 the choice for peace of mind is the 45KG/100LB Ultra is the best. But the weight is more important than shine. So the other choices of Rocna, Mantus, Plow will work fine.

Randall
A54 #56
Gibraltar

On Sun, Sep 13, 2020 at 7:49 AM Bryce Procter via groups.io<Balibryce=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
At the risk of opening a hornets nest I am replacing my 30kg Wasi Bugle anchor with one of the newer breed of anchors. My query is not about which brand or shackles or style though rather sizing.
Assuming the following that the boat is usually fully loaded for extended cruising so in the heavier weight range, occasionally left alone at anchor normally for no more than a day or two though in these times anything is possible;100m of chain, varying bottom types, don't intend to carry a dedicated "storm" anchor etc etc. Based on these and the endless other variables does anyone have any advice or thoughts on the best size/weight?
I have seen SM's being swapped out with anywhere from 30kg to 45kg Rocnas, Mantus or other newer style anchors. One piece of advice I read sometime ago was that if the other yachties at the dock aren't laughing at your anchor it's not big enough!
Cheers

Bryce
SM 2K #467