Re: Anchor sizing

Germain Jean-Pierre

We have a 35kg ultra with the ultra swivel.  As a RTW couple, we anchor 10 to 11 months a year.

To date, we have never dragged anchor... but we are very careful about setting our anchor.  The Ultra is a very good piece of equipment and we can recommend it unconditionally.

A Rocna would also do a good job.

Cheers

Jean-Pierre Germain, SY Eleuthera, SM007, New Zealand

On 13 Sep 2020, at 19:32, Randall <sailingalbedo@...> wrote:

Slight rewording.

If you don't want to ever end up on youtube for the wrong reason, bigger is better. Your Wasi was chosen by Amel as a good size and would do fine. But for peace of mind. the recommended weight by the manufacturer is always one size too small. Go Bigger!!!!
On my 54 the choice for peace of mind is the 45KG/100LB Ultra is the best. But the weight is more important than shine. So the other choices of Rocna, Mantus, Plow, etc. will work fine.

Randall
A54 #56
Gibraltar

On Sun, Sep 13, 2020 at 9:20 AM The Boat <sailingalbedo@...> wrote:
If you don't want to ever end up on youtube for the wrong reason, bigger is better. Your Wasi was chosen by Amel as a good size and would do fine. But for peace of mind. the recommended is always one size too small.
On my 54 the choice for peace of mind is the 45KG/100LB Ultra is the best. But the weight is more important than shine. So the other choices of Rocna, Mantus, Plow will work fine.

Randall
A54 #56
Gibraltar

On Sun, Sep 13, 2020 at 7:49 AM Bryce Procter via groups.io <Balibryce=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
At the risk of opening a hornets nest I am replacing my 30kg Wasi Bugle anchor with one of the newer breed of anchors. My query is not about which brand or shackles or style though rather sizing.
Assuming the following that the boat is usually fully loaded for extended cruising so in the heavier weight range, occasionally left alone at anchor normally for no more than a day or two though in these times anything is possible;100m of chain, varying bottom types, don't intend to carry a dedicated "storm" anchor etc etc. Based on these and the endless other variables does anyone have any advice or thoughts on the best size/weight?
I have seen SM's being swapped out with anywhere from 30kg to 45kg Rocnas, Mantus or other newer style anchors. One piece of advice I read sometime ago was that if the other yachties at the dock aren't laughing at your anchor it's not big enough!
Cheers

Bryce
SM 2K #467