Re: Anchor sizing

ngtnewington Newington

The problem with the Ultra 45 Kg is that it costs over £3000
Whilst the Galvanised 44 kg Spade runs at £1500.
Having once lost an anchor (in the Galapagos) I believe that to be a factor...
I also believe that if you use 10mm chain you need top quality grade 70 chain rather than 40.
I think that you need to look at the whole arrangement as a system from anchor to chain to windlass to locker.
The Ultra sure is a beauty though...
Nick
Amelia (AML54-019)

On 13 Sep 2020, at 11:04, Matt Salatino via groups.io <helmsmatt@...> wrote:

We have the Ultra 45. Best anchor yet after owning a Rocha and Delta before that.
And we did have the 42 kn squall at anchor and didn’t budge.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt A50/#27

On Sep 13, 2020, at 9:48 AM, Bryce Procter via groups.io <Balibryce@...> wrote:

Thanks Randall, the 45 ULTRA was my original choice and after looking at it I'm sure it will get a few grins/smirks on the dock. Though along your line of thought I would rather have the peace of mind and not be wondering/hoping that the anchor holds when that unexpected 40 knot squall comes through while on shore or away.