Re: Anchor sizing

Teun BAAS

Last paragraph from Arno below is why, after my initial negative reaction, I decided to take the expensive CROMOX option into consideration.

Many of my recent (much, much more expensive and not really necessary – as in: new 3rd generation BAMAR furlers while the 2nd generation was working fine; new VOLVO PENTA while existing one could be “fixed”; complete new B&G navigation & radar system while the OEM FURUNO was working fine etc.) changes/”upgrades” were “safety” justified so then why hesitate with a USD7,300 anchor chain????

So now I am considering getting the CROMOX for the main anchor and switch the 100 meter galvanized I purchased last year to the secondary anchor; need to research if the additional weight in the bow will be negatively impacting the sailing.

Best Regards Teun

A54 2009 #128

September 13, 2020 13:02:20

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Arno Luijten via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, September 13, 2020 05:50
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Anchor sizing

The chain came with the boat. It is Amel supplied and regrettably only 316L (it is WASI-chain I have just learned) so not suitable for long term anchoring. The main anchor is all chain. The secondary has 15 m chain and whole lot of rode (never checked it in detail).
Cromox is really good and really expensive I agree. On the other hand if you practically live behind you anchor there is a strong case for biting the bullet. It will last much longer then galvanized and behave much nicer in the chain locker. 316L is downright dangerous for full time anchoring. By the time we are able to start doing that we may need to some sacrifices and buy Cromox. For now this works excellent for us.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.