Re: SEAFLO Marine Air Conditioning Seawater Circulation AC Pump 500GPH 220V eBay

ngtnewington Newington

Hi Arno,

Yes I am inclined to agree with you especially in terms of  BTU I have two 8000 and one 10000 which comes to 26000BTU. Which is more than the 24000 the pump claims as it’s capacity.

However on the sticker placed on the units they all require 9 litres per hour. When actually they will get 31-35 litres per hour but the last aircon in the circuit will have warmer water as the coolers are one circuit in series.

I was wondering if anyone had tried this pump out, as although not expensive and maybe worth a try it could be a bit of a waste of time..

Nick

Amelia (stores ashore in Leros)

 AML 54-019

On 15 Sep 2020, at 16:23, Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:

Interesting find. This is their website http://www.seaflo.com/en-us/product/detail/3160.html
Seems happy with both 50 and 60 Hertz and is even submersible.

However the specs seem to pose a problem for most Amels (see first line below):

- For use with AC system up to 12,000 BTU.
- More than 10,000 hours lifetime.
- 8.5GPM seawater circulation pump.
- Run dry safe for normal workloads.
- Continuous duty.
- Replace any brand marine air conditioning pump.

Amels typically have around 30k BTU (about 9kW of cooling power)  aircon (three units combined).
The flow rate suggests that the output resistance may be the problem. Output resistance can be seen a the height (head) the water needs to be elevated after the pump.

Looking at details you can see the Seaflow does approx. 36 lpm at zero head and 4 lpm at 6 meter head.
Calpeda does 80 lpm at 9 meter head and 25 lpm at 12 meter head
The latter also uses twice the electrical power.

So my guess is that the pump lacks the power to push enough water trough the pipes. I did the same exercise some time ago with March pumps and found the same problem.

Kind regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121