Loss of drive on my Santorin

Grant Starling

I have lost drive on my Santorin.  It started when I replaced the morse throttle/gear selector and at first I thought it was bad cable adjustment meaning my gearbox clutch not engaging properly.

Basically the problem is as follows.  I start the engine, select gear, when I apply power to accelerate, there is no increase in thrust from the propellor beyond that which I get idling in gear.  So I can move the boat around at idling speed in forward revers, but no thrust or increase in motion even at full revs.

So after adjusting the cable to ensure proper adjustment and still getting no joy, I looked secondly to the gearbox clutch as being the issue.  I thought at 30 years old its probably slipping and needed replacement.  So I rebuilt the gearbox with brand new clutch, bearings and seals.

Reinstalled it this morning.  Same problem is still there.....no drive.

The c-drive seems to be spinning up fine when I increase throttle, it increases in speed.  I can turn the c-drive by hand and it seem smooth and turns easy.  Put my GoPro on a pole and checked the propellor under-water, just to check there was no debris on it....it seems to be spinning fine.

So short of the propellor slipping on the prop-shaft, I am out of ideas?

Has anyone had a similar issue?  What are the chances of the prop shearing it’s key and spinning on the shaft?  Sincerely hope this isn’t a c-drive issue....best Grant