Re: Anchor sizing

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hello Victor,

As you own an SM, a 10 mm chain is vastly sufficient.. even a G70 grade 8 mm chain is overkill.

There are 3 grades of chain G30 (lowest grade), G40 and G70.  G40  is the grade installed by Amel.  As a suggestion, we have a 35KG Ultra with 100 meters of G40 grade 10 MM chain.  (We have been aboard 24/7 since July 15 and it never dragged. There is an additional 50 meters of 3/4 inch nylon line attached to the chain.  In the Pacific, you will encounter anchorages where the water is 35 meters....

Weight is also a factor in the choice.  Good luck and enjoy your Amel.

Jean-Pierre Germain, Eleuthera, SM007, Opua, NZ

On 18 Sep 2020, at 21:50, VICTOR MOLERO <victor.moleroxx@...> wrote:

This is a very enriching thread. Thank you all for such valuable information. I am also about to change my 30 kg. Wasi for either a Mantus 48 kg. or an Ultra in my SM. But I see no one talking about the size of the chain (not the length). Do you recommend 10 mm or 12 mm. My first idea was going for a 12 mm. but I fear it might be too heavy on the bow. The other option is to keep my current 70 m. 10 mm. Inox chain with a 30 meters line.
Any comments about this will be more than welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Victor
Alendoy SM#314