Re: deck leak

Arno Luijten

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your wise words of advice. This is actually hitting on one my least favorite aspects of an Amel, the usage of balsa-wood in the deck core. This should have been abandoned in favor of Divinycell 30 years ago in my opinion.
For 54's a special word of advice: have a look at the point when the central stanchion sits in the rear railing/lifeline. It sits in this sort of cup that is bolted in the deck (it actually goes right through it). Amel fit this in with some caulking but (in my case) did not bother to protect the core material after drilling the hole.
In my case I had to remove the rotting core for about 10 cm diameter and fill the void with thickened epoxy. This also resolved a leak into the rear lazarette. Even great boat builders can drop a ball occasionally.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121