locked Re: Batteries starting to get weak - MMM - What to do -

Arno Luijten

Hi Dennis,

This is one of the problems I have with many BMS systems, if not all. They use passive top-balancing, meaning they can only balance the cells when full and do this by dissipating the energy of the fullest cells.
It seems that the one you found is more clever. It does not say if it uses active balancing as far as I can see.
Some time ago I found this system that does it all: https://enerstone.fr/en/
However this also needs some additional logic to protect the batteries for under/over voltage. I sort of gave up on the Lithium stuff because if you want to do this right it is immensely complex and you will have to come up with a bespoke solution that I find undesirable on a sailing yacht.
Fact is that the market for lithium systems on yachts is quite small compared to other markets so not many companies develop specialized solutions for it.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121