locked Re: Batteries starting to get weak - MMM - What to do -

Arno Luijten

Hi Scott,

Typically good BMS-es can measure at 0.01 resolution. So even at lower SOC you will be able to see differences. Charging up to 100% can be postponed longer with continuous balancing. Active balancing means you are using the charge of the fuller cell to charge the less full cell. That improves the speed of balancing and prevents useless heat generation.
Obviously it's not as world of difference all together but if you design a BMS for lithium you may as well make it top notch. The system is expensive enough to push it to the limits of longevity.
Your battery-monitor has a easier life with lithium as the charge/discharge losses are far less so it will keep an accurate reading longer, especially if you can set the Peukert value yourself.

If you are less concerned about those things than I think the Battle Born 24V batteries are a good choice, just do not expect 10-15 years of life. If you do achieve 10-15 years you can always celebrate at that time, but at least you will not be disappointed.
As said before and as said by others as well; there is still so much development in this area that I prefer to wait a few years to see what the next best will be. I just read something about a person managing 9 years on some Gel batteries so it's not that all other chemistries are useless.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121