Re: Moorings/marina berths and engine start/stop problems

Jose_Luis Isasi <jose.luis.isasi@...>

Dear Anne and John,

My kindest regards. I would like to ask you to ellaborate on what you call Barcelona┬┤s thieves.

That is because I would not like the group to have a wrong impression about Barcelona suitability for any activity (business/cultural/leisure).

As far as I know, recently (every summer) in the old part of Barcelona town, in the part where there are prostitutes, these approach you (specially foreigners) and try to rob you while they touch you, etc (they do not care if you go with your partner). You need to keep away, specially at night.

Apart from this anecdotic issue (that you may find in all cities of the world), Barcelona is one of the best places to visit and one of the more 'european' capitals of Spain. With an interesting offer in arquitecture, gastronomy, etc.

No piracy in the coast, or these things you may find in some other places (at least not in Spain).

I have my boat in Burriana, South of San Carles. I would be glad to help anybody who needs assistance in Spain.

Kind regards
Jose Luis

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, " Anne and John Hollamby" <annejohnholl@...> wrote:

I sold my 18 mtr berth in Club de Mar, Palma, Mallorca last year which had about eleven years to run on it's lease for 185,000 euros because it had very high serce charges and the local repair/servicing people were very expensive as the marina has many super yachts who have no apparent objections to paying over the top. We left the boat in Sant Carles in a new marina developed by Marina Developments Ltd, a British company. It is a big marina with state of the art features including a huge concrete hard standing, swimming pool etc.They are offering discounts to attract boats to over winter and berths are much cheaper than those in Mallorca. It is on the coast of Spain about 100 miles WNW of Palma. The downside was that the office staff were not kowledgeable about boat needs and this created language problems. It is also some way from an airport being roughly half way between Barcelona (and its thieves) and Valencia. Contact for info:- n.salter(at)mdlmarinas.co.uk

We have had intermittent problems with our Yanmar engine being unstart/stopable. The problem lies in the connections to the solenoid which Amel fits on the negative or grounding side of the engine. I suspect that this is a general problem with whatever engine or Amel yacht. No wiring diagram was supplied for this grounding thus making it hard to find where the fault lies. I noted hat the Yanmar wiring diagram does not provide for this engine grounding system and finding that I could start or stop the engine whilst I shorted out the contacts on the soleniod I have put both wires to and from the battery negative side on the same terminal of the soleniod. This means that the engine is permanently grounded and that it always starts or stops when needed.
If anyone can give me a clue as why Amel use this system to unground the engine when stopped I should be very interested.

Happy grounding, Anne and John, SM319