Re: Genoa furler

Helen and Kostas Yuvanidi

Hi Rob,

We have taken ours off three times and our advice is , with great caution! Great that you will have professionals with you!
You don’t need to loosen the side stays just the rear ones and the one from the main mast to the mizzen mast . We marked the original position and loosened till it was still catching, but only just.
If you do not need to service the furler then you don’t need to release it from the foil, we did that when we took the masts down to repaint and replaced all the stays. But you will need space to do that so as not to bend the foil.
If you do need to release the furler there are screws to release it.We are off the boat for coffee at the moment, when we get back we can let you know which screws.

All the best,
Helen and Kosta on SM 29 of 1990

On 25 Sep 2020, at 10:01 AM, Rob Smith <robfromcornwall.1966@...> wrote:

Thanks for your advice, the rig is being changed by professional riggers, I'm just preparing the boat for them.

On Fri, 25 Sep 2020, 06:43 Mohammad Shirloo, <mshirloo@...> wrote:

Hi Rob;

I cannot help on the sequence needed to drop the Genoa forestay, as we have not had to remove it on our 54. However, I would caution that it requires a sequence of adjustments to ensure the rig is not compromised. I would suggest that you proceed with caution and with some professional assistance, if you have never done this before. We had our shrouds replaced at the main. Our rigger Nicky, did not want t attempt changing the entire standing rigging without being in a more controlled environment, because of this concern.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099