Re: New gearboxes - painted or bare alloy?

eric freedman

Hi,
What make gearboxes are you using and where are you getting them?
If you leave the gearboxes unprotected they will look terrible in a short time.
I was considering having my gearboxes sand blasted and powder coated.
Any thoughts on that.
Fair Winds,
Eric
SM 376 Kimberlite

On September 26, 2020 at 4:10 AM "Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)" <svtrilogy53@...> wrote:

Hello everyone,

I'm ordering new gearboxes for the main furler and main outhaul. The units can be shipped with a bare alloy finish or with a 2 pot epoxy paint. I'm curious if anyone has advice one way or the other. The paint will provide protection but will undoubtly fail at some point. The aluminum alloy should self-passivate and not continually corrode/oxidize.

Any advice from experience? Any issues in running with bare alloy, besides initial appearance? I suppose it will look better than flaking paint in the long run.

Cheers,
Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy SM23
Opua, NZ