Re: New gearboxes - painted or bare alloy?

Ian Park

Mike,
You may have to grind the fins off the mainsail furling gearbox to fit in the mast profile. So you’d need to paint over anyway.
I changed mine three years ago. I painted with an aluminium primer and top coated with a one pot paint that matched the mast/boom. It’s worked fine, and if it gets scruffy I can paint it again.
I would say that one of the gearboxes was filled with oil, the other with grease (there was a discussion on this) The oil dripped out (in small amounts) of the seal onto the deck, so I refilled it with grease instead. Don’t know when you last removed the boom gearbox, but I take mine off every two years now to keep the outhaul shaft easy to free.

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN96
On passage to North Wales