locked Re: Batteries starting to get weak - MMM - What to do -

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica

Hello,

Good BMS systems measure 0.001 Volt with +/- 2 exact.

Balancing is over evaluated in the thread.
A good batterie setup stays balanced for years after initial balancing if needed at all. You may check on it from time to time but a good system will hand a banalce Alarm anyway.
Active balancing has no real advantage agains passive balancing. It only reuses a tiny bit of energy instead of dissipating it.

Oliver from Vela Nautica
A54#39
Martinique

On Wed, Sep 23, 2020, 18:18 Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:
Hi Scott,

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against Lithium. I'm just trying to bring some nuance to the many über-happy stories about Lithium. These things are bloody expensive and people should know what they are getting into.
Actually I'm really happy that you bought Lithium because that means you can tell me about how this works in the long term 😎.

In the electric car world you see similar discussions about charging speed and charging level. People are now starting to find out that these batteries are degrading much faster when you are a super-charging junkie and keep pushing it to 100% SOC
So if you buy a used Tesla from a predominately home charging person that doesn't use his car as racing vehicle you are much better off then when you buy a mostly supercharged race-car. There is a reason Tesla keeps all these metrics on their cars.
Latest EV cars are charging with more then 2C (250 kW) using water cooled charging cables. I really wonder how that will work out on the long term.

Anyway I don't want to talk anyone out of Lithium and if my use case was different I probably would have bough an all singing and dancing Lithium pack by now. But I would expect a 8-10 year lifespan of it.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121