Re: Forward looking Sonar - Amel 54 - Furuno NavNet Plotter Network

Mark Erdos

Paul,

I have a forward looking sonar. It came with the boat. I have used it only a handful of times in the San Blas Islands and now in French Poly. It is a very expensive item that can easily be substituted by a person on the bow.

Just my 2 cents but I think you are better off reading the water colors and with a bow lookout rather than relying on a monitor. IMO - The technology is iffy, at best. I certainly wouldn’t risk my vessel based on the display. The distance the sonar looks forward is very dependent on the depth. In other words, if in shallow water, the distance forward looking is very minimal. Chances are you will hit whatever is in front of you in shallow water if relying on the sonar. I found it to be more of a distraction rather than an aid. Again, just my 2¢.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Tahiti, French Polynesia

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Paul Osterberg
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2020 8:15 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Forward looking Sonar - Amel 54 - Furuno NavNet Plotter Network

I thinking of  install an Echopilot but can't find the real performance difference between the Platinum an the FLS 2D, the Platinum cost about 1500 € and has no screen and NMA0183 and video S  so can be connected to a MFD given it has an Video S port. the FLS cost 1200 € and has it' own screen. Looks like the FLS is better value but ....
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.