Re: Forward looking Sonar - Amel 54 - Furuno NavNet Plotter Network

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hi Ken,

Good to see your usage of FLS is like mine; like everything else electronic, what is really needed?

I have hit the reef twice; lightly in both cases... in Fiji.  First time was in a buoyed channel near northern Taveuni and it was reported to Navionics as it was not shown on any chart and the second time was on exit from Fulanga with a 5 knot following current.  Just a glancing hit.  Reported to Navionics as well.  Perhaps added to their database by now.

Greets to Z.  Stay safe.

Jean-Pierre Germain

On 30 Sep 2020, at 04:44, Ken Powers SV Aquarius <ken@...> wrote:

Hello James,

I like the fact that the Echo Pilot is completely separate from the rest of the navigation equipment.  I would like a radar overlay on the chart plotter, but not the FLS.  You can spend more to have an integrated system, but I'm not sure it's useful for the FLS.  When I am in shallow water, I have the Echo Pilot going, and a few maps running.  Got my airplane pilot scan going, 1sec per screen, and then out of the cockpit... and repeat.  The FLS is just one of the inputs.

Is this the best?  That, I could not say, because this is all I know.  Echo Pilot is easy to install, easy to use, and easy to set up.  Once set up, if the FLS needs more than an on off button that's too much.  For this reason, It's the best for me.

Ken
Aquarius SM2K#262