Re: Forward looking Sonar - Amel 54 - Furuno NavNet Plotter Network

My pennyworth . We have had an Echopilot since new , 20 years ago . We very rarely use it .
However , in Chile we met a local guy with a wooden yacht who surveyed the canales in the south on behalf of fish farm companies . Much of his time was spent in uncharted waters . His experience was to set the forward range at no more than 50 m . He claimed it was the most essential tool he had .
We did use it in Chile when entering uncharted caletas at very slow speeds and on a handful of occasions it served us well .
I suspect that you need to practice a lot with it to get the best use of it.
Elsewhere its greater comfort is in having a backup depth sounder in case the B&G packed up .

Ian and Judy , Pen Azen , SM 302 , Kithnos , Greece

On 29 Sep 2020, at 19:29, James Alton via groups.io <lokiyawl2@...> wrote:

Ken,

     I was originally thinking of something that would interface with my B&G display but I think that you make a really good point about having a stand alone system in this case.  It helps a lot to hear from someone like yourself that has a lot of recent experience with a product, so thank you for sharing.  Easy and simple have a lot of value in my book as well so I will take a good hard look at the Echo Pilot option.

Fair winds to you both,

James and Joann Alton
SV Sueno
Maramu #220