Re: Forward looking Sonar - Amel 54 - Echopilot FLS 2D frequency vs B&G Sonic Speed Sensors or Depth Sounders

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi All, I say all because this thread has certainly created interest. We have the Interphase FLS. Like radar and  it seems many other FLS units it needs experience and interpretation. I find it useful and last year in Fiji it saved us from a serious situation. The biggest problem is surface clutter caused by the turbulence of choppy water but with experience it is possible to get useful interpretation. It needs to have all the parameters set right. In talking to other owners with the same unit it is clear that many have not persevered and have given up.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 01 October 2020 at 08:58 Stefan Schaufert <mail@...> wrote:

Dear Amelians,

thx a lot for your numerous helpful responses.

For the Amels with the Echopilot 2D units AND the B&G Sonic Speed Sensors and/or Depth Sounders (Standard on the AMEL 54):
  1. Are there problems or something needs to be considered because of the working frequency (200 kHz) of the Echopilot unit - used at the same time as the B&G devices (interferences)?
  2. Where is your Echopilot transducer situated on the bottom? Echopilot recommends to install it „alongside the keel and perhaps 60cm or 2 feet out“.
I do not find any informations for this in the B&G & Amel manuals.
Thus I am looking forward for your answers.

Best regards
Stefan
A54 #119 Lady Charlyette, Aruba