Re: Forward looking Sonar - Amel 54 - Echopilot FLS 2D frequency vs B&G Sonic Speed Sensors or Depth Sounders

Jose Venegas

Hello all,

I have had a good experience with the FLS from B&G which can be displayed on the B&G Zeus chart plotters together with radar, GPS, AIS, and navigation data.

I installed the sensor using the through hull of the old B&G (Hydra 2000) depth sensor which was a perfect fit. The FLS signal does not seem to interfere with the B&G ultrasonic speed sensor or the old depth sensor.

Also, I am also happy to report that I was able to install the old depth sensor to its back of it, without the need to open a new through hull, by fitting it into a water filled cylinder silicone glued to the hull.

When I installed the FLS first, there were issues with the signal and its interpretation but the most recent updates have taken care of much of it. Also, I noted that it is very important to enter the proper angle of the sensor. As we all know our SM tend to have the stern deeper in the water and that means the angle needs to be adjusted.

Once this is done, the signal is by enlarge OK unless there are waves that affect the angle of the sensor.

Jose Venegas
Ipanema SM2K 278
Curacao