Re: Forward looking Sonar - Amel 54 - Echopilot FLS 2D frequency vs B&G Sonic Speed Sensors or Depth Sounders

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Ken, until you have sailed the Tuamotus you cant imagine how uncharted reefs and bommies can appear, rising vertically from very deep water. The FLS is useful there. Fiji has its own specialties with vertical reefs and no warning. Like all navigation aids, the FLS is one but not to be the only.one used; Charts, eyes, chart plotters too. In  those waters all my senses are on high alert all the time.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 02 October 2020 at 06:27 Ken Powers SV Aquarius <ken@...> wrote:

All,

When I was in the  Tuamotus we were crossing the interior of Makemo Atoll from the main town to the East anchorage.  We were going 6kts in 50m and we saw the reef come straight out of the blue and we were able to stop Aquarius.

If we didn't have the Echo Pilot 2D Professional onboard we would have hit.

Ken