Re: Forward looking Sonar - Amel 54 - Echopilot FLS 2D frequency vs B&G Sonic Speed Sensors or Depth Sounders

Patrick McAneny

Justin, I must have missed that post ,came into this thread late. Just read that with new downloads their B&G FLS is working well, so maybe I need to keep my speed down and update my downloads.
Thanks,
Pat 
SM Shenanigans

-----Original Message-----
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io Group Moderators <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Sent: Thu, Oct 1, 2020 9:27 am
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Forward looking Sonar - Amel 54 - Echopilot FLS 2D frequency vs B&G Sonic Speed Sensors or Depth Sounders

Pat,
I believe someone further up the thread mentioned a max SOG of 2.5 kts.  Maybe that is part of the issue for you?
Regards,
- Justin
Hopeful future SM/SM2k owner

On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 6:57 AM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
As I said in a previous post ,I have a new B&G FLS and have not found it useful , the bottom is depicted in a brown color and moving forward I have brown spikes appear in front of the boat as well as elevated bottom depictions that disappear as quickly as they appear. Frustrated I just stopped even ever turning it on ,forgot to even use it once in six months while in the Caribbean. But before this thread goes away ,I have one question. Is it important to keep your SOG very slow to get good results from a FLS ? I think I have tried to use it going less than a 4 or 5  kts. , but maybe that is too fast. It would be great to have in the Bahamas some day ,if it worked.
Thanks,
Pat 
SM Shenanigans

-----Original Message-----
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Thu, Oct 1, 2020 3:33 am
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Forward looking Sonar - Amel 54 - Echopilot FLS 2D frequency vs B&G Sonic Speed Sensors or Depth Sounders

Hi All, I say all because this thread has certainly created interest. We have the Interphase FLS. Like radar and  it seems many other FLS units it needs experience and interpretation. I find it useful and last year in Fiji it saved us from a serious situation. The biggest problem is surface clutter caused by the turbulence of choppy water but with experience it is possible to get useful interpretation. It needs to have all the parameters set right. In talking to other owners with the same unit it is clear that many have not persevered and have given up.
Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl
On 01 October 2020 at 08:58 Stefan Schaufert <mail@...> wrote:

Dear Amelians,

thx a lot for your numerous helpful responses.

For the Amels with the Echopilot 2D units AND the B&G Sonic Speed Sensors and/or Depth Sounders (Standard on the AMEL 54):
  1. Are there problems or something needs to be considered because of the working frequency (200 kHz) of the Echopilot unit - used at the same time as the B&G devices (interferences)?
  2. Where is your Echopilot transducer situated on the bottom? Echopilot recommends to install it „alongside the keel and perhaps 60cm or 2 feet out“. 
I do not find any informations for this in the B&G & Amel manuals.
Thus I am looking forward for your answers.

Best regards
Stefan
A54 #119 Lady Charlyette, Aruba

--
Justin Paulsen
IT Professional

"The world is open, are you?"

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.