Re: Tender Amel 54

Teun BAAS

Mohammad,

Same here – 2020 completely shot as far as sailing. I wouldn’t be surprised if even Q2 2021 is optimistic for AUSTRALIA as I believe they will first have a 2 or 3 months travel bubble between NZ and OZ before even contemplating opening to the rest of the world. Even when that happens I wouldn’t be surprised travel originating from or coming via USA to be getting “special” attention/rules. .

I got the OC350 = 350 centimeters with the Delta panel; ladder; beachmaster wheels (absolutely fantastic); AMEL color coordinated burgundy rub rail; nav lights etc. etc.

They also have a full Carbon version which I did NOT order and I believe, since recently, a sailing dinghy.

Advantages:

  1. Karin and Russell are SUPER, SUPER, SUPER nice & easy going but highly professional people; a pleasure to work with.
  2. Very high freeboard; meaning ladies (and you) will not have a wet butt on arrival for lunch or dinner in the marina and/or your groceries will remain dry in choppy waters.
  3. Holds a lot of people and cargo
  4. Really planes extremely fast with only 15HP outboard; even with 4 adults on board. In fact OCT strongly discourages any outboard bigger than 15HP.
  5. Weight is only 48kg – was one of the main considerations especially after experiencing problems coming back from a nice & relaxed dinner at night on low tide and having a hard time getting the dinghy back in the water. Especially when you are old, feeble (hahahahaha) & alone or with a female companion.
  6. Lots & lots of (out of sight) storage
  7. Comes standard with 2 seats which also double as PFD’s
  8. Comes standard with 2 paddles; stored out of sight.
  9. Outboard tank and dinghy anchor can be stored (out of sight) in the bow under & around the bow compartment (open net) with a special vertical net to keep it there.
  10. Very effective anti-skid material on the railing, floor, bow etc.
  11. Comes with Dyneema bow & stern hook ups/points custom designed & placed for your davits.
  12. They can make custom adjustments if you require.

Disadvantages:

  1. Expensive
  2. Waiting time as custom made & to order ONLY. They don’t build “inventory” boats.
  3. Having to ship to your destination – they will handle for you as long as you pay 😊
  4. Did I mention expensive???

But absolutely worth it – I think, after having had 4 dinghies within 18 months before the OCT, I am qualified to tell the difference. BTW – the very first dinghy, which was on board when I got the boat, I loved the best as long as I was on anchor but just didn’t make sense to have on the boat during passage: a brand-new (6hrs) old, huge HIGHFIELD center console with 50HP HONDA outboard. Total listed weight 295KG while the davits are rated for 300KG. I suspected the 295KG listed weight for the dinghy to be w/o the 35 liter gas which would have put it well over the rated 300KG for the davits.

Check the OCT website and, in case you order, pls say hi to Karin for me.

Best Regards Teun

A54 2009 #128

October 6, 2020 10:01:32