Re: Tender Amel 54

Teun BAAS

Mohammad, Nick and Heinz,

Mohammad,

I have not experienced any problems with maneuverability and stability. In fact I perceive the stability to be better than the other dinghies I had with the exception of the huge HIGHFIELD.

I had frequently very rough water in NOUMEA and the ride was fine while keeping the passengers and the groceries much, much drier than the previous dinghies.

Since the 3.9Meter, HIGHFIELD Ocean Master HYP with 50HP HONDA too big & heavy, I bought 3.5M MAXXON in NEW ZEALAND. Tubes way to small and constantly wet butt (I had a female friend visiting and she was not happy) & groceries. Then got a 3.50M SMART WAVE 3500 hard dinghy (unsinkable & dry butt 😊) but very, very heavy – dumb decision and luckily this developed a leak and I was able to return while I ordered the OCT. However, there was a delay in shipping the OCT to NOUMEA (Not OCT fault) so diverted to PORT VILA VANUATU but I was leaving for VANUATU and needed a dinghy for 4 or 5 weeks and got a HIGHFIELD (attached picture). As from May 2019 had the OCT and very, very happy.

Heinz,

Yep long order time – that was one of the problems. I ordered in December 2018 for delivery in March 2019 and finally got it in VANUATU in May 2019 but 2 months delay were due to shipping problems caused by a friend of mine as we originally were going to ship to NOUMEA NEW CAL in one of his containers and that didn’t work out as planned.

Nick,

Pls see attached 2 pictures; You can order from OCT a very, very sturdy “rub rail”; no problem at all banging the hull or other boats.

Best Regards Teun

A54, 2009 #128

October 9, 2020 12:57:55

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of heinz@... via groups.io
Sent: Friday, October 9, 2020 02:08
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Tender Amel 54

Hello 

I have tried to get an Oct in New Zealand one in the Aprill. You need about 2 to 3 months for an order. That was a pity because I could not wait that long. 

But I do not know what the situation is like today. All the people I spoke to were very enthusiastic. 

In March there where 4 yachts with such boats in Wangarei. Also the boss of Riverside Drive Marina has one on his motor boat and a Amel 54 from Australia. It is very well padded and very stable. 

I would have liked to buy one despite high price. 

I had a 3 D tender before. Bought in Martinique.  After 2 years no more air in every tupe

Some boats are not built for tropical sun and should never be sold there. 

Now I have a Highfeelt.

Cheers 

Heinz

SM2000, 292, Quetzal waiting for getting back to Newzealand. 

Am 09.10.2020 um 10:26 schrieb Germain Jean-Pierre <jp.germain45@...>:

Hello Mohammed,

You will not be disappointed by OCT.. although my AB 9.5 UL rides a bit softer and is faster ... due in part to the superb 2 str Yamaha 15... 

It is very stable and rides nicely.  OCT has a video of a man standing on a gun whale and it has only a slight list.

A54 Mari, late model 54, has the 300 and it fits on his aft deck with no issue.  

Very intelligent design... IMO!

Jean-Pierre Germain, Eleuthera, SM007, NZ

On 9 Oct 2020, at 18:21, Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:

Hi Teun;

Thanks for the detailed breakdown.

A few issues that concerns me about the OCT, is the ride in a chop, the stability, low speed maneuverability, due to its flat bottom design. We often go on long excursions with the tender and we do encounter some rough water from time to time.

What has your experience been regarding these?

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Teun BAAS via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, October 6, 2020 10:10 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io

Mohammad,

Same here – 2020 completely shot as far as sailing. I wouldn’t be surprised if even Q2 2021 is optimistic for AUSTRALIA as I believe they will first have a 2 or 3 months travel bubble between NZ and OZ before even contemplating opening to the rest of the world. Even when that happens I wouldn’t be surprised travel originating from or coming via USA to be getting “special” attention/rules. .

I got the OC350 = 350 centimeters with the Delta panel; ladder; beachmaster wheels (absolutely fantastic); AMEL color coordinated burgundy rub rail; nav lights etc. etc.

They also have a full Carbon version which I did NOT order and I believe, since recently, a sailing dinghy.

Advantages:

1. Karin and Russell are SUPER, SUPER, SUPER nice & easy going but highly professional people; a pleasure to work with.
  2. Very high freeboard; meaning ladies (and you) will not have a wet butt on arrival for lunch or dinner in the marina and/or your groceries will remain dry in choppy waters.
  3. Holds a lot of people and cargo
  4. Really planes extremely fast with only 15HP outboard; even with 4 adults on board. In fact OCT strongly discourages any outboard bigger than 15HP.
  5. Weight is only 48kg – was one of the main considerations especially after experiencing problems coming back from a nice & relaxed dinner at night on low tide and having a hard time getting the dinghy back in the water. Especially when you are old, feeble (hahahahaha) & alone or with a female companion.
  6. Lots & lots of (out of sight) storage
  7. Comes standard with 2 seats which also double as PFD’s
  8. Comes standard with 2 paddles; stored out of sight.
  9. Outboard tank and dinghy anchor can be stored (out of sight) in the bow under & around the bow compartment (open net) with a special vertical net to keep it there.
  10. Very effective anti-skid material on the railing, floor, bow etc.
  11. Comes with Dyneema bow & stern hook ups/points custom designed & placed for your davits.
  12. They can make custom adjustments if you require.

Disadvantages:

1. Expensive
  2. Waiting time as custom made & to order ONLY. They don’t build “inventory” boats.
  3. Having to ship to your destination – they will handle for you as long as you pay 😊
  4. Did I mention expensive???

But absolutely worth it – I think, after having had 4 dinghies within 18 months before the OCT, I am qualified to tell the difference. BTW – the very first dinghy, which was on board when I got the boat, I loved the best as long as I was on anchor but just didn’t make sense to have on the boat during passage: a brand-new (6hrs) old, huge HIGHFIELD center console with 50HP HONDA outboard. Total listed weight 295KG while the davits are rated for 300KG. I suspected the 295KG listed weight for the dinghy to be w/o the 35 liter gas which would have put it well over the rated 300KG for the davits.

Check the OCT website and, in case you order, pls say hi to Karin for me.

Best Regards Teun

A54 2009 #128

October 6, 2020 10:01:32

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mohammad Shirloo via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, October 6, 2020 09:06

Hi Teun;

Nice to hear from you. We’re in the same “boat”. Have not been at the boat since October 2019 and hopeful that 2021 season will not be affected by COVID.

Which model of the offshore cruising tender did you end up with and what do you feel are the advantages over the inflatable ones?

Respectfully;

Mohammad Shirloo

+1-323-633-2222  Cell

+1-424-644-0908  Fax

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Teun BAAS via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, October 6, 2020 7:15 AM

Hi Aty & Mohammad,

Hope you guys are doing well with this COVID situation – I am not sure when I can get back to the boat in AUSTRALIA but I don’t think it will be before Q2 2021.

Although you asked about the HIGHFIELD just wanted to share since I know you appreciate (very) high quality stuff. 😊

I had 5 tenders in 18 months – 2 of them were HIGHFIELDS; I will save you the story.

Best dinghy, bar none, is the Offshore Cruising Tenders. They are located in NZ and only custom build. Expensive but, in my opinion, well worth the extra $$$$$

https://octenders.co.nz

Best Regards Teun

AMELIT – A54 #128

October 6, 2020 07:12:44

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mohammad Shirloo via groups.io
Sent: Monday, October 5, 2020 23:48
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Tender Amel 54

We are looking for a new tender, as our existing 12 year old Zodiac Classic foldable with aluminum floor planks that came with our Amel, is starting to have some of the glue joints fail. It has been a great stable ride that planes with a 20HP with 4 people. We have been considering the Highfield line and will not be onboard prior to ordering, Therefore, we would appreciate comments on the following issues:

1. How does the CL310 or CL340 fit on the Davits?
  2. PVC or Hypalon? We will most likely be in the Med for another 3 years and then onto the Caribbean. AT this point our ongoing plan is to continue sailing West. about 6 months every year.
  3. Our existing 3.5 Meter Zodiac, does present some challenge trying to leave the dock, while Med Moored in a cross wind, if we have yachts at both sides. The tender is about 18-24 inches wider than the stern, therefore the bow on the tender can get caught in the stanchions of the adjacent yacht. In extreme conditions, we lower the tender and tow behind until we are clear of the dock and then bring the tender up on Davits. Does anyone have a better solution?
  4. What is your general impression of the quality, ride and longevity of the highfield line?
  5. What other tender lines have you used that you could recommend?

Thanks in advance for all input.

Mohammad & Aty
B&B Kokomo
Amel 54 #099

Zitierten Inhalt anzeigen

Hi Teun;

A few issues that concerns me about the OCT, is the ride in a chop, the stability, low speed maneuverability, due to its flat bottom design. We often go on long excursions with the tender and we do encounter some rough water from time to time.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

Mohammad,

Same here – 2020 completely shot as far as sailing. I wouldn’t be surprised if even Q2 2021 is optimistic for AUSTRALIA as I believe they will first have a 2 or 3 months travel bubble between NZ and OZ before even contemplating opening to the rest of the world. Even when that happens I wouldn’t be surprised travel originating from or coming via USA to be getting “special” attention/rules. .

I got the OC350 = 350 centimeters with the Delta panel; ladder; beachmaster wheels (absolutely fantastic); AMEL color coordinated burgundy rub rail; nav lights etc. etc.

They also have a full Carbon version which I did NOT order and I believe, since recently, a sailing dinghy.

Advantages:

1. Karin and Russell are SUPER, SUPER, SUPER nice & easy going but highly professional people; a pleasure to work with.
  2. Very high freeboard; meaning ladies (and you) will not have a wet butt on arrival for lunch or dinner in the marina and/or your groceries will remain dry in choppy waters.
  4. Really planes extremely fast with only 15HP outboard; even with 4 adults on board. In fact OCT strongly discourages any outboard bigger than 15HP.
  5. Weight is only 48kg – was one of the main considerations especially after experiencing problems coming back from a nice & relaxed dinner at night on low tide and having a hard time getting the dinghy back in the water. Especially when you are old, feeble (hahahahaha) & alone or with a female companion.
  9. Outboard tank and dinghy anchor can be stored (out of sight) in the bow under & around the bow compartment (open net) with a special vertical net to keep it there.
  11. Comes with Dyneema bow & stern hook ups/points custom designed & placed for your davits.

Disadvantages:

1. Expensive
  2. Waiting time as custom made & to order ONLY. They don’t build “inventory” boats.
  3. Having to ship to your destination – they will handle for you as long as you pay 😊

But absolutely worth it – I think, after having had 4 dinghies within 18 months before the OCT, I am qualified to tell the difference. BTW – the very first dinghy, which was on board when I got the boat, I loved the best as long as I was on anchor but just didn’t make sense to have on the boat during passage: a brand-new (6hrs) old, huge HIGHFIELD center console with 50HP HONDA outboard. Total listed weight 295KG while the davits are rated for 300KG. I suspected the 295KG listed weight for the dinghy to be w/o the 35 liter gas which would have put it well over the rated 300KG for the davits.

Best Regards Teun

A54 2009 #128

Hi Teun;

Nice to hear from you. We’re in the same “boat”. Have not been at the boat since October 2019 and hopeful that 2021 season will not be affected by COVID.

Which model of the offshore cruising tender did you end up with and what do you feel are the advantages over the inflatable ones?

Respectfully;

Mohammad Shirloo

+1-323-633-2222  Cell

+1-424-644-0908  Fax

Hi Aty & Mohammad,

Hope you guys are doing well with this COVID situation – I am not sure when I can get back to the boat in AUSTRALIA but I don’t think it will be before Q2 2021.

Although you asked about the HIGHFIELD just wanted to share since I know you appreciate (very) high quality stuff. 😊

I had 5 tenders in 18 months – 2 of them were HIGHFIELDS; I will save you the story.

Best dinghy, bar none, is the Offshore Cruising Tenders. They are located in NZ and only custom build. Expensive but, in my opinion, well worth the extra $$$$$

Best Regards Teun

AMELIT – A54 #128

We are looking for a new tender, as our existing 12 year old Zodiac Classic foldable with aluminum floor planks that came with our Amel, is starting to have some of the glue joints fail. It has been a great stable ride that planes with a 20HP with 4 people. We have been considering the Highfield line and will not be onboard prior to ordering, Therefore, we would appreciate comments on the following issues:

2. PVC or Hypalon? We will most likely be in the Med for another 3 years and then onto the Caribbean. AT this point our ongoing plan is to continue sailing West. about 6 months every year.
  3. Our existing 3.5 Meter Zodiac, does present some challenge trying to leave the dock, while Med Moored in a cross wind, if we have yachts at both sides. The tender is about 18-24 inches wider than the stern, therefore the bow on the tender can get caught in the stanchions of the adjacent yacht. In extreme conditions, we lower the tender and tow behind until we are clear of the dock and then bring the tender up on Davits. Does anyone have a better solution?
  4. What is your general impression of the quality, ride and longevity of the highfield line?

Mohammad & Aty
B&B Kokomo
Amel 54 #099

Hi Teun;

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

Mohammad,

Advantages:

Disadvantages:

1. Expensive

Best Regards Teun

A54 2009 #128

Hi Teun;

Respectfully;

Mohammad Shirloo

+1-323-633-2222  Cell

+1-424-644-0908  Fax

Hi Aty & Mohammad,

Best Regards Teun

AMELIT – A54 #128

Mohammad & Aty
B&B Kokomo
Amel 54 #099

--

Hello 

Since yesterday when I tried to park in a box in a marina in Auckland my bow thruster motor failed. 

If I turn the beam to the left or right the whole power supply breaks down for a moment. After that the power is back. 

I took the rudder off and it can be turned perfectly by hand. 

But the same happens with the engine. No power for a few seconds, all instruments off, no rotation of the motor. 

Does anyone know this problem. 

Does anyone know how I can find out if it's the motor or maybe a relay that doesn't work. 

Can I test the motor without a relay, maybe on the 4 cables marked D1, D2, and A1, A2?

I am grateful for a quick answer.
Heinz SY Quetzal, SM 2000, 292

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.