Re: Genoa Chain Plate bolts Leaking in aft hanging closet

Ken Powers SV Aquarius

Hi Erik,

Here are some photos of the job at hand!  I talked with some local boaties here at Krabi Boat Lagoon, and they suggested 5200.  It has been raining for 5 days straight, and looks like it will continue for the next 6 days. I am thinking once it stops for a day or two, I will do the following.

1.  Remove 1 or 2 of the bolts.  Not to remove the entire chainplate.
2.  Clean hole and bolt with alcohol.
3.  Put good amount of 5200 into hole.
4. Replace bolt or bolts and try to get as much of the 5200 off the treads.  So that I don't glue the nut onto the bolt.
      I am told that this will not be a problem, any thoughts?
5.  Repeat until finished with all the bolts.  Except, I am only planing to do the 4 bottom bolts under the rub rail, not the single bolt in the middle of the chainplate.  This bolt does not show signs of leaking, and even if it did, the leak should be at most, minor, due to the location.  Unlike the 4 bottom bolts which could submersed in water for extended periods of time.  And thoughts about this decision?
6. Glue interior back together.  Still wondering what adhesive to use to re-attach the interior lining.   It's like Humpty Dumpty, just hope I don't need all the Kings Horses, and all the Kings men.
7. Replace Rub Rail rubber piece.

Anyone have thoughts about my intended procedure?

Ken
Aquarius SM2K#262
In Krabi Boat Lagoon, Thailand