From: Ken Powers SV Aquarius <ken@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Oct 14, 2020 5:04 am
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Genoa Chain Plate bolts Leaking in aft hanging closet

Thanks to all you Amelians for helping me through this mess!  I think I have a good procedure for the repair now.  But as aways, subject to change once I get into job.  It looks as though it should take all of 3 hours to complete this task, but as boat jobs go, I alway grossly underestimate time required 'til completion.

So, here is my revised plan of attack for this
1.  Remove 1 or 2 of the bolts.  Not to remove the entire chainplate.
2.  Clean hole and bolt with acetone.
3.  Verify no damage or pitting to the bolts.
4.  Tape off area that I don't want to be covered in 4200.
5.  Put good amount of 4200 into hole.  Use a small toothbrush or q-tip to make sure that 4200 is completely covering the walls of bolt hole.
6 . Replace bolts and nuts.
7.  Repeat (1 to 6)  until finished with all the bolts.  Except, I am only planing to do the 4 bottom bolts under the rub rail, not the single bolt in the middle of the chainplate.  This bolt does not show signs of leaking, and even if it did, the leak should be at most, minor, due to the location.  Unlike the 4 bottom bolts which could submersed in water for extended periods of time under the rub rail rubber.
8. Glue interior back together.  Planing to use 3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive.  This part should be straightforward.
9. Replace Rub Rail rubber piece.  Using lots of soap and a bit of water!

If anyone has any suggestions, or reasons why I should change the process, let me know?

Thank you all!!

Ken
Aquarius SM2K#262
In Krabi Boat Lagoon, Thailand