Re: C-Drive Oil drain - Alternative

Barry Connor

Hi Bill,
Thank you for the diagram showing the way the seals should face, exactly correct. My old school Tunisia mechanic explained this to me in detail when I told him I know how after watching the Delos video.
He went into detail even about how to increase the spring tension to make sure that the seals worked.
Having been forced by Covid-19 restrictions to stay here in Martinique at the Amel Caribbean base I am benefiting from help and advice from the Amel manager Alban and getting lots of things bought up to spec.
Very Best

Barry and Penny
“SV Lady Penelope II”
Amel 54.  #17
Sainte Anne anchorage Martinique

On Oct 15, 2020, at 18:04, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

<image.png>

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 4:43 PM Barry Connor via groups.io <connor_barry=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Ruedi,

Wow, not again. So sorry to hear this!
I replaced my seals in Tunisia last year and was very grateful to have the small length of pipe you gave me to ensure that the seals went in without any damage to the rims of the 3 seals.
I argued with the mechanic in the Monastir marina for about half an hour about which way they should face. I saw the Delos video and thought I knew exactly the correct way they should face, this mechanic was my age and very old school. I totally lost my bet and he was absolutely correct. He used a whole tub of Volvo blue waterproof grease putting them in. Hope you find someone with his knowledge and experience when you haul out and change them.
Sorry I don’t know anything about sucking out the C-Drive oil when in the water.
I see you are now in Spain? Are you heading this way and crossing soon? I will have the Eno oven available if you still want it with all the fittings and spares and the light weight refillable fibre glass LPG bottles soon. Should be getting the Lithium change over completed by end of this year installing the new Italian electric oven with induction cooktop.

Very Best

Barry and Penny
“SV Lady Penelope II”
Amel 54.  #17
Sainte Anne anchorage Martinique

On Oct 15, 2020, at 12:10, Rudolf Waldispuehl <rudolf@...> wrote:

Dear AMEL Groupies

Is there a way to dain (pump/sucking) out bad Oil from the C-Drive while the boat is in water?
Recently (after 3 years) I got water ingress into the C-Drive. I cannot go out on hard right now for the next 2-3 Month. Haul out it planned for January-21. I don't move the boat anymore but still then, I don’t like. I don't like to have the milky Oil (mix of Oil and Salt water) in the c-drive for such a long Time.

I was thinking there must be an alternative option to get rid of it while in water. Maybe I could suck that milky stuff out of the C-drive through the hose where the expansion container sits on top?

Does anyone know if it works? And maybe someone on the forum has even done that?

What is the potential damage of the C-drive having this cream of oil/water inside (without driving the boat) ?

Any idea and advice is very welcome, best regards

Ruedi Waldispuehl

WASABI  - Amel 54 #55
Almerimar