Re: C-Drive Oil drain - Alternative

The answer to the seal orientation of the 3 seals is very simple.

You have 3 seals.
You need to keep the oil in and the water out.
If you had two seals, the answer is clear: one for each.

But, with 3 seals, you should decide which of the following is most important to you:
- Keeping oil in the C-Drive - if this is your priority, Henri Amel agrees with you and so do I - use 2 seals to protect from losing oil
- Keeping water out of the C-Drive - if the is your priority, Henri and I will question your logic, but use 2 seals to protect from water entering.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 6:12 PM Craig Briggs via groups.io <sangaris=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
A good technique I've used to clean out milky oil is, after the initial drain, refill with diesel oil, then run the engine in gear forward and reverse for a few minutes (feeding water to the engine with a hose). Drain again and repeat until the diesel comes out clear. Two or three times will do the trick and a 6 gallon diesel fuel jerry jug is enough. Then change the wearing-out-bearing, O-ring, seals and drain plug washer and refill with 90 weight gear oil.

Bill Rouse sticks by the Amel recommendation of the three seals facing oil-oil-sea. José Venegas argues convincingly for a water-water-oil configuration, to which I just changed 6 months ago. I think José is now going on 20 years with no milky oil. (Or maybe it just seems like that in these times of covid.)

Great fun,
Craig - SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL