Re: Offshore Health Insurance

Thomas Peacock

Boy, Kent, you’ve opened up a can of worms, that fortunately non-Americans may not have to deal with.

I don’t know if you have “traditional” Medicare, or the other privately administered plans. I’m not sure how “traditional” Medicare handles overseas illnesses.

However, as Craig pointed out, if you have Part C (so-called Medicare Advantage), privately administered, overseas illnesses are generally paid for. All plans differ. My plan, Aetna Silver PPO, has a $7,550 out of pocket maximum for the year. So, if I were to get ill or injured overseas, I would have to pay the bill. Since it is “out of network”, it is likely that I would be responsible for the first $7,550. In addition, I would have to pay the hospital and doctors myself for the whole bill. However, Aetna would reimburse me for any expenses over the $7,550.

When I crunched the numbers last year, it did not seem worth it to me to buy overseas insurance. Worst case scenario, I’m out $7,550. The premiums for extra insurance seemed too steep.

I should add that my wife broke her arm in St Lucia. We chose to go a private hospital rather than the government run facility. The hospital bill was over $12,000. They would not admit her to the hospital until I paid in full (credit card). They wouldn’t even take an X-ray until I paid for that. After the deductible, her insurance paid the balance.

Hope this helps.

Tom Peacock
SM 240 Aletes
Chesapeake Bay for the winter, public health issues in the Caribbean just seem too iffy, especially with the second wave upon us

On Oct 15, 2020, at 9:48 PM, karkauai via groups.io <karkauai@...> wrote:

Hi all,
I'm looking at health insurance for myself again. I've been basically self-insuring for overseas care and have DAN Boaters insurance for emergency medical  repatriation. Iris has GeoBlue plus DAN.

Depending on deductible and copay, I'm looking at $ 7-8K premium, plus $3-10K deductible and $0-5K copay every year. That's a lot of money to pay when the only thing I could imagine costing that much overseas would be emergency surgery. Anything else and we would fly home to let Medicare pay for it.

I'd be interested to know what everyone else is doing.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Kent&Iris
Kristy
SM 243
Hoping to sail S again in Nov depending on COVID rules in Caribbean and beyond.

--
Tom Peacock
SM 240 Aletes