Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Dan Carlson <carlsdan61@...>
Datum: Freitag, 16. Oktober 2020 um 00:05
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Betreff: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] C-Drive Oil drain - Alternative

Hello Ruedi, I did have some slight milky color just after changing my seals a previous time.  I don't think they seated properly right away.  First I drained and cleaned our the reservoir well. Then filled it with clean oil. Then I sucked about a liter of the bad oil that comes off of the small "return" line and attaches to the top of the reservoir. I did this twice and that removed some of the milky oil (can't be much as there are 8+ liters in the system).

I can tell you that the water did settle out of what I removed after a few days.  I repeated this twice when the drive was heated up and the oil was mixed up. Then after that it remained clear.  I was using the boat regularly during the next 6 months living aboard in the Caribbean. At the end of the season when I pulled the boat and drained the c-drive only the first liter or so out of the bottom of the drive appeared to have some residual water.  The seals appeared to be in perfect condition.

I think in my case I only had a small initial contamination and once the seals seated well then there was no subsequent leaking.

I wish someone could provide a clear explanation of how the oil circulates?  I was able to watch as the drive heated up with use that there was milky oil coming in the return line at the top of the reservoir. There is also a filter screen in the middle of the reservoir that appears to trap some of the water that settles out. For something so important and so discussed I've not seen a good explanation of that.

Thanks and regards, Daniel and Lori Carlson on sv BeBe, SM #387

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020, 12:11 PM Rudolf Waldispuehl <Rudolf@...> wrote:

Dear AMEL Groupies

Is there a way to dain (pump/sucking) out bad Oil from the C-Drive while the boat is in water?
Recently (after 3 years) I got water ingress into the C-Drive. I cannot go out on hard right now for the next 2-3 Month. Haul out it planned for January-21. I don't move the boat anymore but still then, I don’t like. I don't like to have the milky Oil (mix of Oil and Salt water) in the c-drive for such a long Time.

I was thinking there must be an alternative option to get rid of it while in water. Maybe I could suck that milky stuff out of the C-drive through the hose where the expansion container sits on top?

Does anyone know if it works? And maybe someone on the forum has even done that?

What is the potential damage of the C-drive having this cream of oil/water inside (without driving the boat) ?

Any idea and advice is very welcome, best regards

Ruedi Waldispuehl

WASABI  - Amel 54 #55
Almerimar