Re: Registering an SM in Canada

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hi Jeff, Randall et al Canuckians,

I did just as Randall. No regrets.

Jean-Pierre Germain, Eleuthera, SM007, NZ

On 17/10/2020, at 6:28 PM, Randall <sailingalbedo@...> wrote:

Hello Jeff,
I looked into buying Moon dog an SM in Pennsylvania.
When they told me how much the tax and duty with the need for the Government survey, I found it easier to just go to France and buy an Amel with a french flag. So to save on the import duties as Canada has a free trade agreement with Europe. You can buy a boat from the country of the manufacturer duty-free. You then pay only the local tax in Canada. Alberta has no provincial sales tax so there is only the GST to pay, in all other provinces you pay HST.
All this said you save yourself a load of money. (but yes the survey still has to be done)
In the end, I went to Spain and purchased my boat from a Brit. The vat was paid already, So I left the registry British paid 250 pounds for the 5-year registry, just a name change on the registry. Done with no pain or tax. And fly the red ensign. This is the cheapest way to do it.
My plans were to sail in sunny equatorial waters, so I will not enter Canadian waters to subject to any import fees.

Good luck,
Randall
A54#56
Gibraltar

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 7:53 PM Jeff Williams <jeff99williams@...> wrote:
Hi All,
In the process of buying SM#379 Spruzzo (thinking of keeping the name).  Boat is currently in Sicily and plan on cruising the Med for the next few years.

I'm going to register the boat in Canada....has anyone used a Canadian surveyor to get a Canadian Tonnage Certificate for their SM 2000?
If so can you give me the name of the surveyor?

Thanks!
Jeff Williams