Re: C-Drive Oil drain - Alternative

Porter McRoberts

Thanks Craig.

So it’s entirely possible we had a small ingress of seawater while the seals “seated,” and that settles at the lowest point in the system, certainly not in the reservoir/expansion tank (and thus not seen). The key for me going forward, it would seem, would be to keep an eye on the volume of the reserve, if it increases...the ingress likely continues.
I’m trying to think of the tank height relative to waterline, I think it’s slightly above, which if the densities of these two fluids were the same would result in relative positive pressure of the system compared to the seawater. Is the key to the ingress problem that the oil is significantly less dense and so even with the column above the waterline, there remains a relative tendency of ingress vs egress?  Does anyone ever “loose oil?”

This should be at the crux of the seal orientation debate I would think.

Thankfully, still lubricious,

Porter

Porter McRoberts
S/V IBIS A54-152
WhatsApp:+1 754 265 2206
Www.fouribis.net

On Oct 18, 2020, at 4:20 AM, Craig Briggs via groups.io <sangaris@...> wrote:

Hi Porter et al,
There is no "circulating system" in the "C" drive like an engine has with an oil pump and channels and holes for for pressurized oil flow. It's just a hollow structure around the gears and bearings that creates a bath of oil. The hoses at the top simply allow for expansion into the reservoir as the oil warms slightly and, while there may be minor circulation of oil due to convection, that's just incidental. Pretty much analogous to the lower unit of a 2-cycle outboard...
--
Cheers, Craig - SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL