Re: LiFePO4 Conversion on sv BeBe - SM#387

Dan Carlson

Hello Stephan, attached is a photo from the underside of the arch, with the new panels.

I had some one cut some 25mm (1") by 35mm (1.5") by 10cm spacer blocks from teak. These raise the new panels to the top of the existing frame. I kept the back and sides of the new panels within the edges of the existing frame but the front edge of the panels over hangs. I still have plenty of room between the front to the solar panels and the backstays.

I through bolted the new panels through the blocks and the flange on the frame.

Best regards, Daniel and Lori Carlson on sv BeBe, SM #387

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020, 8:52 AM Stephen Davis <flyboyscd@...> wrote:

Hi Dan,

Congratulations on your recent LIFePO4 upgrade. We just spent months going through Alaska with a slowly failing lead acid battery bank, and have also decided to upgrade now that we are in Washington State for the winter. In our case, we were fortunate to have all modern programmable charging sources which will be compatabible with the 8 Battleborn 24v batteries which are arriving tomorrow. We have a much older SM, and will take this opportunity to re-wire most of the older heavy gauge wiring, and clean up the old mess a little bit.

We are also planning to increase our solar capacity as well, and that brings up a question I’m hoping you can answer. We have the same Emek arch which is installed on BeBe, and I was wondering how you modified the top frame of the arch to accommodate the larger panel size? Any information you can provide on that subject would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Steve Davis
Aloha, SM 72
Port Townsend, WA