Re: Offshore Health Insurance

Teun BAAS

Can confirm below – had Q4 2018 surgery in BANGKOK and upon return in USA MEDICARE refused to pay. I have (according to MAYO clinic) “platinum ROLLS ROYCE” supplemental but they originally also tried not to pay. Once I pointed out that they do have an international clause in their policy (one of the main reasons I selected this plan) they finally paid USD18K out of the USD28K.

It was not an emergency and, in hindsight, I should have purchased a roundtrip ticket to USA and have everything done by MAYO AND  (even flying 1st class) still saved money 😊. Medical care would have been at the same excellent level; can highly recommend BUMRUNGRATD International Hospital in BANGKOK.

Best Regards Teun

A54 2009 #128

October 20, 2020 08:28:01

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Thomas Peacock via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 08:14
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Offshore Health Insurance

As our president famously said after he was unable to come up with a new health insurance plan, “Who ever thought health insurance could be so complicated?”

I’m not trying to inject any politics into this forum, however; the forum is too precious for that.

In the US, health insurance certainly is complicated. 

You will find many different opinions on what Medicare does and does not cover. 

My best read on traditional Medicare (Parts A and B) is that costs incurred in foreign countries will not be reimbursed, unless you live by the Canadian border and the Canadian hospital is closer than your US hospital. Will not apply for problems in the Caribbean and elsewhere.

Many Part C (Medicare Advantage) plans will reimburse you for foreign expenses. Check your plan.

I will defer to Eric on Plan F, I know nothing. I read up on it on the internet, and came away even more confused.

Tom Peacock

SM 240 Aletes

Wintering well above the Tropic of Cancer

On Oct 20, 2020, at 10:58 AM, Craig Briggs via groups.io <sangaris@...> wrote:

Hi Pat -
The best and perhaps only definitive answer is to submit your claim and see what they do.
Craig

--
Tom Peacock
SM 240 Aletes
Chesapeake Bay

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.