Re: Offshore Health Insurance

Mark Pitt

From the website:

Medigap coverage outside the U.S.

If you have Medigap Plan C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, M or N, your plan:

  • Covers foreign travel emergency care if it begins during the first 60 days of your trip, and if Medicare doesn't otherwise cover the care.

  • Pays 80% of the billed charges for certain medically necessary emergency care outside the U.S. after you meet a $250 deductible for the year.

Foreign travel emergency coverage with Medigap policies has a lifetime limit of $50,000.

Mark Pitt, Sabbatical III, SM#419

On 10/21/2020 10:18 AM, Ralph Caruso via wrote:
Medicare parts A&B do not cover medical care outside the US.  You may be covered by some Medicare Advantage plans (read the words carefully, because they may only cover emergency care), but the only that I KNOW covers care outside the USA is BCBS issued to current and retired members of the Federal Bureaucracy (I am a retired bureaucrat). You have to be a Federal Employeee or a retiree eligible to particulate in the Federal Employees Health Benefit Plan. It is one of the best plans in the USA (not quite as good as some union-sponsored plans for stuff like dental or glasses), and it covers you everywhere in the world, because lots of Fed employees work or travel outside the US. 

When we lived in France, we used to send our claims back to the US, and they would do the translations and currency conversions and send us a check in $US.  BCBS has an entire large operation dedicated to foreign coverage.  They can even provide you with attestations that you are covered, so that you can present them to foreign governments that require this as a condition for a residency card. (Been there, done that)

Unfortunately, you would have to go back to work, for the US govt, for at least 5 years, in order to become eligible for a pension and FEHBP coverage at age 62, if you retire from the govt.

Ralph Caruso

Join to automatically receive all group messages.