Re: Super Maramu Bimini

Karen Smith

Everybody uses their boats differently, and no one solution is right for everybody. We have only once taken our bimini off (for hurricane prep) and we fold ours down for "open cockpit" sailing ALL the time--virtually every night on passage, many cloudy days, and always for close quarters maneuvering, or anchoring, or just to watch the dolphins play.  If we are moving, our dodger is folded down probably 30% of the time.

This is one of the things we love about the original Amel dodger design.  It gives one of the most protected cockpits out there, and in less than 30 seconds, can change to be completely open to the world. Nothing would ever get us to trade away sailing topless under the stars.  Even our side curtains are rarely installed outside of a driving rainstorm.  For us, they just get in the way.

It's not the "right" solution, except for us.

Bill & Karen
sm160
s/v Harmonie
Annapolis, MD