Re: Problem with bowthruster

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good morning Eric,

In 2017, I had a similar happening with the bow thruster.

High pitch sound and no propeller turning….

The gear also did not look that bad.

http://supermaramu2000.com/bow_thruster_spin.html

Previously I had purchased from Amel the Tufnol shaft, but the one I received was not the one I had on the boat…. Pictures I sent to Amel at the time:

http://supermaramu2000.com/bow_thruster_tufnol_shaft.html

Maud told me at the time, that they did (from memory) 3 models/size/gear dimensions.

So, I opt to purchase the complete kit:  Amel part 1110 - called in French “MECANISME PIED DE PROPULSEUR SM”

Which you can see at the bottom of the page:

http://supermaramu2000.com/spare_parts_bow_thruster.html

When I received it, I was a bit disappointed that I had to re-machine one of the gear to fit the key.

So back to your issue, I believe that Amel sent you the wrong gear dimensions.

Either measure the gear to have to give them, or purchase the complete kit (small and big gear).

Hope that help, sincerely, Alexandre

Currently visiting Switzerland.

On Sunday, October 25, 2020, 06:40:59 PM CDT, eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

I recently rebuilt my bow thruster, . Upon leaving the dock today my bow thruster  did not work and made a whirring noise. When I took it apart I saw that the gears were worn. My gears on my old bow thruster did not look that bad after 18 years of use. I know I assembled it correctly. My thinking is that the new end cap that I received from Amel with the rebuild kit is too deep and allows the gears to move apart and not mesh properly. Any Thoughts?

As a p.s., when i received the new end cap the mounting holes did not line up with my bow thruster. I simply drilled and tapped 2 new holes.

Fair Winds,

Eric
SM 376 Kimberlite.