Re: Problem with bowthruster

eric freedman

Below  is the answer from AMEL—I wonder if anyone else had the same problem. I had to order an entirely new kit.

I also had to redrill the holes in the end cap. I noticed that the thickness of the back if the new cap was 2mm higher than my old cap.

When they drilled and tapped the cap the drill and tap ran into the cap material inside. I thought that was odd at the time.

I think this was the problem. I believe there are a number of bad end caps. The gears in the photos have about 15 minutes on them.

The pair that I changed out after 18 years looked better.

Unfortunately I cannot discuss this at length with Amel as I am leaving Wednesday for the Caribe.

I would love to hear from any other owners who have or had the same problem with a new kit.

Please keep me posted..

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

Dear Eric

Sorry to read such trouble.

The bow thruster mechanism kit is in used since years without having heard about similar problem.

The only way is to send you again a new complete kit (we can’t mismatch the parts )  and to be fair a 20% commercial discount will be granted.

If agree please confirm where to send it

With my kindest regards

Thierry

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Paul Osterberg
Sent: Monday, October 26, 2020 9:55 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Problem with bowthruster

Eric!
We had the same issue I bought a new kit from Maud this summer, put everything together, but the new lid did not fit with the old screw holes , so I used the old lid, looked very similar to me. 
I tried it when finished with, it worked. Next time when we were to go up on the hard the thruster motor is spinning but not the prop, a great disappointment. Have not digged into it further as have other project ongoing, My guess is that the new shaft is too "short". Further the shaft had a very rough surface so all oil has leaked out by now. Will sand it down to a smooth surface when at it.
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259 Lagos, Portugal

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.