Re: Victron Quattro charger/inverter installation

Jose Venegas

Hi James,
Great to know you are in Cartagena.  We are in Curazao waiting for the port of Cartagena to open, which theoretically will be next week but it has been delayed several times.   I decided to buy a 5 kW inverter and install it outside of the engine compartment.  See https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/message/55033.  It made it much to deal with the 60 50 Hz issue to buy a new charger and rewire it using the connections of the old 30 a battery charger.
Also, while doing the work within the engine compartment, I wired a double fan to blow into the engine compartment that kept me less hot while I was doing the work in the engine room.  Mounting an inverter-charger in the engine room requires to pass very large cables from the engine compartment to the battery box.  (The Victron Phenix inverter required 2 1/0 gauge cables for each positive and negative poles.  Mounting the inverter near the batteries avoids the problem and you only need to pass the 220V 20 amp 3 wires cable, not an easy task but much easier than passing the 4 DC cables.

Hope to see you soon,

Jose Venegas
Ipanema SM2K 278
Curazao