Re: 24 v main switch

Jose,

Should be? According to who?¬†ūüėÄ

I believe that Amel has connected the chargers to the battery side of the main switches for some time. I know that at least some Amel 54 switches were wired with the 24v Alternator on the load side.

I will let a marine electrician answer the "should" question, but I believe that you could have a problem if the chargers were wired to the load side and you had shore power ON, Charger ON, and the Main Switches OFF. Again, I will leave the last word to a marine electrician.

I have attempted to illustrate a typical battery switch.  Any help with improvements in the illustration below will be appreciated. Note, I said "typical." The negative main switch should basically have the same connections at the same poles.
image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 6:28 PM Jose Venegas via groups.io <josegvenegas=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Bill,
I noted that, in IPANEMA, the cables from the battery chargers connect to the battery side of the main switch.  In other words, they are still hot after turning the main switches OFF. : Is this the way it should be?  It is OK if one knows but very important when installing new chargers or fiddling around with the alternator!!.  For that, I had to disconnect the battery output from the main bus.
I will add the bus bar if I have to add/modify anything on my system.

Jose
Ipanema SM2K 278