Re: Volvo 12v alternator

Mike,

I am not sure if the following applies to the Volvo 12v alternator, but it applies to the Yanmar 12v alternator:

There is an unused tachometer output wire on all SM Yanmar 12v alternators. See the photo below. Please let me know if yours is the tachometer wire.

Also, possibly there is an issue with the "excite circuit." The alternator will self-excite at higher rpm. Try revving the engine in neutral to 1800 rpm.
image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 10:28 AM Mike Ondra via groups.io <mdondra=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
Lost output from 12 V alternator. Doing initial  trouble shooting  trying to understand the function of the short yellow wire which arises from near the voltage regulator and is not connected to anything else at the female terminal end. Should it be? And to what?

Mike Ondra
Aletes SM 240