Re: winterizing the watermaker

Ryan,

As I said, it was from someone else and I have zero experience winterizing...as I tell everyone, I am allergic to cold.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 1:19 PM Ryan Meador <ryan.d.meador@...> wrote:
Miles,

Where/how do you connect your hand pump to the flow meter and other tubes?

Bill,
I appreciate the additional instructions, but as with so many winterization instructions for this unit, they mainly talk about the seawater side.  The fresh water side seems to be almost an afterthought -- "take care ... there is no fresh water inside".  I don't know how to put that into practice.

We're expecting the first freeze of the year this Friday night, and our boat is already on the hard.

Thanks,

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Salem, MA, USA

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 1:08 PM CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:
Recently a trusted owner wrote the following:
Winterizing: Recommend using -50F degrees non-toxic water system antifreeze. (2 gallons for a D160)
With the pressure regulator fully counter-clockwise, pump this into the inlet of the high-pressure pump
and through the membrane tubes under minimum pressure. Once the solution has been pumped in, turn
the pressure regulator valve fully clockwise to close it off and retain the solution inside the membrane
tubes. Make sure to blow out the product water lines - take care to make sure there is no fresh water
inside the product flow meter tube. Open, drain, and clean the pre-filter housings.

Disclaimer: I have no experience in winterizing...brrrrr

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 11:43 AM Miles <milesbid@...> wrote:

Ryan,

I have a small hand pump.  I connect the plastic tube to the flow meter and pump it full of pink stuff, and continue pumping until I think the surrounding tubes are full.  I also use this on the hot water pipes.

Miles

s/y Ladybug,  sm216  200 miles off Bermuda heading south.